Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Breakdowns

To begin this story about something that happened to me two weeks ago, I feel that I need to start it with a similar event that happened to me almost 30 years ago. (ouch!)
I was about 18 years old and traveling from Salt Lake City Utah to Pekin Illinois in a "66 Ford Econoline Van. Every thing I owned at that time was in that van. Guitars, Amps, record albums, clothes, and an Afghan Hound named Burt.
Somewhere around Nebraska or Iowa I broke down. Mechanically and mentally. The bearings on the drivers side front wheel melted fusing it into a smoking mess of hot metal. The wheel fell off.
I have never felt as lost as I did then.
I was in the middle of nowhere with nothing but corn as far as the eye could see. Me with long hair, wearing bell bottoms jeans and a vest with a big marijuana leaf embroidered on the back. I had a long haired hippy looking dog, no money, no experience, and no clue.
I cried.
I remember asking Burt what I was going to do. He was clueless and careless.
The important details here are a little foggy. (it was the 70's, ya dig?)
Suffice to say that somehow with the help of a local farmer with welding skills and a kind heart, I got back on the road. I remember him saying that he would hope that someone would help one of his kids if they were in trouble far from home.
Eventually, after two more minor breakdowns,one of them mechanical, I made it to my destination. I don't know how but I made it. You can not begin to imagine the deluge of relief that that flooded my being.
I went thru so much stress those few days that, even then, I knew nothing could ever be as bad as that. Now, whenever I ever break down I am always thankful that at least I'm in my own town, or my own state, or whatever. I can always imagine how much worse it could have been. I can always find a way to put it into perspective.
Deja vu.
A couple weeks ago while taking a short cut to Michigan from Maine through Canada, I break down.
It's Sunday morning, around 2 a.m. my head lights started fading. At first I thought it was the rain storm making it look that way, but then the sputting began and I limped half way up an exit ramp and on to the shoulder of the road just as everything died. Using my limited automotive skills I cleaned up my battery terminals hoping for a simple remedy. That may or may not have helped. I got about a half mile further to a gas station where at least there was light. Then it went completely dead.
I'm in the middle of nowhere, in the dark, in the rain, with a cat named Cayo, and no clue.
hmmm, I've been here before.
Fortunately, this time I have a cell phone and call AAA. (that's CAA in Canada, eh?)
I get towed to a garage that conveniently will be open on Sunday, and I wait.
I wait a long time. The thunder storm continues and I wait.
Talking to my Cayo, I apologize for putting her thru this, because I know she has no idea why we are just sitting in the truck for so long. I also praise her for her patience. She was very calming.
The garage opened at 10:00 and I gave them my sad story of being stranded in a strange land, waiting for 8 hours in the rain with my cat, while trying to get home to see my mother, and to top it off, it's my birthday! (it really was!)
Two and a half hours (and $500) later, I had a new alternator and battery and was on the road again. At this point I've been awake for 30 hours and still have another 7 hours of driving left. I should have been there by now. Oh well.
Keep On Truckin'!
It could have been a lot worse. That was the last exit for a long time and had I broke down a mile further down the road, I don't know where I would've ended up. I definitely wouldn't have been able to tell the tow truck driver where to find me. Then, to actually have parts and service on a Sunday was a miracle.
As bad as it was, I've been thru worse.
I've paid my dues and it don't pay to panic!
This time the breakdown was strictly mechanical.
It's all easy to laugh at now that I'm home again.
Back in Maine.
Safe on Planet Dandy.
Some Birthday, eh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

jimmydandy;got a web site now ,way cool just got your web address last nite from our buddy Finn.Wehad a little getogether at my families place on the river,{Mom was there too.} I was thinkin bout cha .So why don't you send me your email address and you'll get an invite to our next gathering in the same spot on 8/23. Aw shit,your already invited . Looking foward to hearing from you . bigdaddy