Saturday, December 04, 2004

Onomatopoeia

Ring, Ring...
I'm watching the telly a couple nights ago and the phone rings. I let the machine take the message.
It's this guy that I haven't seen in almost 11 years.
I get a little anxious because the last time I saw him, he loaned me 500 bucks.
He calls again a few minutes later, this time no message.
After a few minutes of nervous pacing, I decide to call him back and get it out of the way.
"Hey! This is Jim, returning your call."
As it turns out, he is just drinking and dialing old friends, trying to stay in touch. He told me that he had always enjoyed my happy go lucky attitude about life, and my laughable observations on the otherwise mundane.
I don't even think he remembered loaning me the money.
He always boasted that he had a fat wallet and liked to pay for the dinner or drinks.
An authentic Mr. Nice Guy.

A little back-story here...
We had sailed together as part of a 10 person crew aboard a schooner traversing from Camden Maine to Key West Florida, and visa versa. Many good times were had.
At the end of the last voyage, I was to take a train back down to Florida to pick up my van and drive it back to Maine.
I was not fully confident that the van was worthy of the trip, hence, his generous loan of emergency fundage.

Back to the phone call...
I reminded him that the last time we seen each other, he had said, "I'll probably never see you again but, would you like to borrow 500 dollars?" And, of course, I said, "Sure."
Now, it's eleven years later.
We reminisce and catch up.
Then he says, "I sold my business for 20 million dollars.
Do you need some more money?"
I say, "nah, I'm good."
I mean, who doesn't need some more money?!
Do you think he will interpret my "nah, I'm good",
as "Well, Hell yeah!!!!!"?
Am I just stupid?

I gave him my mailing address...
just in case!

Bling, Bling!






No comments: