Thursday, December 01, 2005

Don't Be That Guy!

Last night whilst shopping at the local Piggley Dixie Shopping Center on my way home from work...

All I needed was some cat food, butter, and eggs.
What I ended up getting was a bird feeder and a big bag of bird seed as well. This felt like under 8 items until I started putting the 20 cans of cat food on the counter of the express lane.
Beep...beep...beep...beep... (you know the sound of the scanner and a slow cashier)
Meanwhile the line behind me is growing. People with 2 or 3 items.
This wouldn't be too bad except when my total is coming up at $21.95 and I am finding that I only have 11 dollars in my wallet. I know that I had at least 35 dollars when I left the house this morning.
I start digging thru the pockets of my leather jacket pulling out handfuls of change mixed with hair ties and paper clips. The line behind me looks inpatient. That's when I realize...
I'm That Guy!
I'm the customer in the express lane with too many items and unable to make a speedy transaction.
Usually, I am behind that person. Holding one item and in a hurry.
So anyway, as I'm counting coins and approaching around 16 dollars, A hero appears!
An off duty cop that rents movies from me at my video store.
He offers to write a check for the amount that I'm short.
"To Protect and To Serve"
Me, being embarrassed at being That Guy, accept his offer without hesitation.
With him writing a check and me sorting change, at least there are two of us holding up the line now. I feel a little safer from the mob. (not to mention that I knew he was packing a .45 in his coat.)
Now I never meant to be That Guy. I'm never short of cash. I just forgot to restock my wallet.
When I got outside to my truck I found three 20 dollar bills that were tucked in my ash tray for fast food emergencies. Also three 50 dollar bills in my backpack from a recent bank withdrawal, and at least 15 dollars in quarters in a bag for toll booths and such.
I ain't poor, I'm just stoopid. And once in a while...I'm That Guy!
And the cop?
He was one of the people in line behind me.
I love this town!

No comments: